Saint Theresa of Avila Chatedral was built from 1773 to 1798. The construction of this baroque church started according to the design of Ferenc Kauffmann, an architect from Budapest and was finished according to the design of Adam Heisler, in 1783. Peoply call it the Grand Church. It was built to honour the patron saint of Subotica, Saint Theresa of Avila (1515-1582) of the Carmelite Order from Spain, a writer and grand reformer of her order. Her figure is also on the City Seal of the Declaration of Subotica as a Crown Borough Charter from 1743, and on the Free Crown Town Crest. The main altar was finished in 1804 and the clock was mounted in the tower in 1840.
Saint Rokus Chapel built in 1738 by the residents of Subotica, in the memory of the victims of plague. It was regenerated in 1884, according to the design of Titus Mačković.
Children’s Theater in Subotica started working on December 6th 1934, as a Puppet Theater. The engineer, Oton Tomanić, was also the founder of the Puppet Theater in Subotica and the author of many productions performed there. He was a stage designer, writer and director, and before opening the theatre, he attended a course in puppetry in Ljubljana.
The first professional troop was formed in 1953/54, and the Theater has developed ever since. At present, it is a leader in the field of stage-art production for children. In 1960, with the first live performance- The Boys of Paul Street, the Puppet Theater changed its name to Children’s Theater – Gyermekszínház. Over the last seven decades, the Children’s Theater has grown into an institution whose organizational and artistic levels enable the theatre to respond to the most complex demands imposed for a contemporary children’s theater.
Annually, the Theater has 6 productions: 2 in Serbian, 2 in Hungarian and 1 in Croatian, and one bilingual New Year’s programme. The total number of performances throughout the year varies from 200 to 230. Most of the performances are held in Subotica, while 50 performances shown elsewhere in the country and abroad.
The Children’s Theater is the co-organizer of the International Festival of Children’s Theaters, held each May in Subotica.
The Church of the Holy Ascension, a Serbian Orthodox Church, founded on the highest part of the medievial, trench-marked town, and most probably built between 1723 and 1726. Since then, the Church had undergone several regenerations, and in 1766 and 1804 it was extended. A thorough reconstruction was effected in 1910, when a new tower was built and a new iconostasis was set up. the iconostasis was made by Jovan Lukeš, a Czech, in Vienna.
City Commanders’ House more precisely, the home of Luka Sučić, the city commander, located aside the Franciscan Church; the oldest house in Subotica, built in the mid-18th century in rural baroque style.
The City Hall is the largest and probably the most beautiful building in Subotica, built in art nouveau style in 1910, according to the design of Dezső Jakab and Komor Marcell, architects from Budapest. It is 76m high and covers an area of 5838 m². It hosts city administration, the museum, the historical archives, boutiques and banks.
The City Library located in the center of the city, with two telamons at its forefront, supporting the baroque balcony. It was built in neo-baroque style in 1897, and was designed by Ferenc Raichle. Originally, it was a city casino. Nowadays, it is a rich library with over 280.000 books.
Consulate General of the Republic of Croatia: Subotica, 6, Maksim Gorkiy Street Tel: 381 24 557 793, Fax: 381 24 556 158 , E-mail: email@example.com
Consulate General of the Republic of Hungary: Subotica,3, Đure Đaković Street Tel:24/554-811,Fax:24/552-427; https://www.mfa.gov.hu/kulkepviselet/Szabadka/sr/en_Konzuliinfo/
Csát Géza was a famous Hungarian writer. He was born in Subotica as Joseph Brenner. His works document civic life in Subotica during the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. His life was full of scandals , which culminated in rumours that he murdered his wife and was a morphium addict. In his memory, a bust was erected in the centre of Subotica.